August 23, 2011

Albatros pub

It's no secret I heart food, but I would say by far, some of my favourite foods are ones made to comfort.

When I first started working, I remember going across the street to a small Polish cafe where a teeny, tiny Polish grandma would prepare the most amazing culinary delights. This was when, as a 23 year old girl, I discovered pierogies and schnitzel. It was here that I learned to take breaks from work and take some time for myself - even if it was only for a few minutes.

It's been nearly a decade, I'm no longer 23 (actually, I can reverse the digits), at a different company and well, the Polish cafe is now a Chinese sandwich place. The only thing that remains? My love for pierogies and schnitzel.

This past weekend, I got to relive some of my culinary memories at Albatros Pub on 3057 Lakeshore Blvd West, in Etobicoke. My good friend brought me here for a couple of beers (Czechvar) and a LOT of delicious, delicious food. We had a platter for 2, and on it were 3 different types of boiled pierogies (though my friend insists pan-fried would be MUCH better), filled with cheese/potatoes, meat and mushrooms. Sour cream is a must (go big or go home, right?)

We also had schnitzel (drool) which wasn't oily at all, potato pancakes (mmm...), coleslaw, beet + horseradish slaw and boiled potatoes (which were okay). The platter was sprinkled with dill throughout, and rather than being over-powering, actually pulled the different elements of the platter together. 

Warning: I loved the decor because it's very eclectic. My friend thought it was cheesy. Apparently it looks like Santa exploded around the holidays. Mental note: must go back around the holidays.

Restaurant rating: Definitely worth an extra hour or two at the gym.

(Apologies for the lack of pictures, but it was too dark.)

No comments:

Post a Comment